Otakumart and our Vision
Otakumart is an up and coming South Auckland based hobby store. We currently operate online via our website and Trademe and aim to eventually open a physical retail store. Our team consists of like minded hobbyists who want to make our interests more accessible in New Zealand. As we have personal interests in the items we sell, we have a good knowledge base between us and will be able to answer questions as well as give advice on our hobbies.
Q: Can Otakumart stock (Insert item not listed here)? I don’t see it listed on your site.
A: Contact us via the methods at the bottom of the page and we will let you know as soon as possible if we can or not.
Q: Does Otakumart ship internationally?
A: We now offer some international shipping options. Click here for more information about shipping.
Q: Can I pickup what I buy from Otakumart?
A: Otakumart does not currently facilitate pickups. Click here for more information about shipping.
Q: Are all of your Japanese/anime goods made in Japan?
A: The vast majority of these items are at least designed in Japan. Model kits from manufacturers such as Bandai and Kotobukiya are designed and manufactured in Japan. Anime figures from manufacturers such as Good Smile Company and Alter are nearly always designed in Japan but for the most part are manufactured in China, these are the authentic figures. Dolls such as Azone are designed in Japan and have parts made in both Japan and China, all parts are authentic. See our figure guide here and our Gundam model kit grade guide here for more information. The majority of our trading cards are sourced from the UK but some come direct from Japan too.
Q: Why are so many of your products out of stock?
A: Many of our items (especially figures and exclusive/limited items) are stocked on release and then as we find stock. After release prices reflect market value. We keep them listed on our site as often we can source them even after the production period. If you are after a particular item that is listed on our site or not which is not a recent production, let us know as there is a good chance we will be able to supply it for you.
Q: Can I have a discount please?
A: Otakumart operates as EDLP (Every Day Low Price) so we can’t usually offer discounts however when purchasing multiple items we can sometimes come up with a better deal such as minor discounts and/or freebies. We also price match. For more information about price matching, click here.
If you find the same stocked item cheaper elsewhere Otakumart will do our best to match and/or beat it!
- Must be a New Zealand online or retail/brick and mortar store.
- The item must be identical in every aspect.
- The product must be in stock with our competitor.
- Shipping costs will be taken into account.
- We do not match special offers or limited time prices, only list prices.
- Otakumart does not price match drop shippers (Stores that ship directly from their supplier).
- In most cases we will not price match private sales.
We reserve the right to refuse any price match for any reason (Reason will be stated).
How to price match
To apply for a price match, please fill out this form and we will get back to you asap with a result. You can also email us with details about what you want price matched via our service email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If we can successfully price match the item for you, the new price will be available through either our site (Via coupons, flat discounts etc), Trademe, or a direct purchase order at our discretion.
Otakumart offers a range of safe and easy payment options:
Paypal: We use Paypal to process credit/debit card payments. You can also create a Paypal account and link the account to your bank/card. This method is the fastest, most secure way to pay for your purchases through Otakumart. Payment is received instantly allowing us to ship faster and customers also have that extra layer of protection from PayPal’s buyer protection service. Because we use Paypal, we have no need to store any payment information on our site. Paypal’s terms and conditions apply.
Ping/Pay Now: This method is facilitated by Trademe and can be used on any of our Trademe listings. Credit/debit card can be used with this payment type. Ping/Pay Now’s terms and conditions apply
Afterpay: Now available directly through our website! This method requires signing up for Afterpay’s service. With Afterpay, we receive payment instantly allowing us to ship the goods as fast as possible and you make 4 fortnightly payments of the total purchase price including shipping. Afterpay’s terms and conditions apply.
Electronic bank deposit: This method is available on both our site and Trademe. Electronic (Internet/app/phone/ATM) transfer only. This can take up to 1 working day to clear before items are shipped. Our bank details are in our payment instructions sent after purchasing on Trademe, or in your order confirmation if purchasing from our site. This method isn’t advised as it takes longer and is not as secure as other methods.
Over the counter deposit: This method is available on both our site and Trademe but if used on our site, incurs a fee. This method is for transferring payment to our bank via a teller in your bank. It is not advised as it costs more, is slower, and is less secure than the above methods.null
Please note: The team here at Otakumart are always doing their best to get your orders to you as soon as possible but we do not have any control over courier and post companies/services, delivery times are not guaranteed however most services have delivery targets which are listed below. We dispatch at least twice a week but more often than not dispatch 5 days a week (Monday to Friday) with the occasional Saturday.
We use recycled boxes and packaging material as much as possible to help reduce costs and our environmental impact. Most of our packaging comes from local stores whom we work with. Sometimes due to the shape of orders we cannot use recycled packaging and instead use our own custom boxes and satchels.
New Zealand Wide
- Parcel- This is the safest shipping option. Items will be wrapped and packed into cardboard boxes. Packing paper, bubble wrap, or sealed air will be used to fill excess space and ensure the item does not move in transit. Additional packing paper may be used for outer box presentation. Delivery Target: 1-3 working days.
- Satchels- Custom plastic satchels are used for this option and there are 2 sizes available currently. Bubble/paper wrap will be used where applicable and cardboard will be used for more fragile items. Postbags offer a lot less protection compared to items send via our parcel option. We will do our utmost to pack items as safely as can be for transit but cannot be held accountable for driver mishaps however, items are insured for the unlikely event that the item is damaged. Delivery Target 1-3 working days
- Envelopes- Standard post is used as Fastpost is redundant. This method is mainly used for trading cards. Cards will be sandwiched between cardboard to add protection and will usually be in sleeves unless a toploader is specified. Delivery Target: 1-7 days.
- Pickup- Not currently available.
Due to popular demand we are now offering a number of shipping options to Australia. Import fees may apply and are at the expense of the receiver.
- Courier- The most expensive but safest and quickest option currently available. This service has limited tracking and contents are insured up to $2000 NZD. Items will be packed as per above. This option is available on orders up to 30kgs. Delivery Target: 2-6 working days.
- Parcel- An economical option however it is not recommended for high value orders as there is no tracking or insurance with this service. This option is to be used at buyers risk, in the unlikely event a parcel goes missing or is damaged, Otakumart will do our best to provide a remedy but we cannot be held responsible for your choice to use this option. Delivery Target: 3-10 working days.
- Envelope- This method has low size constraints but is a very cheap option. This method is mainly available for use with our Trading Card range. Please note: Like our Australian Wide Parcel option, this method does not come with any insurance or tracking and is to be used at the buyers risk. Delivery Target: 3-10 working days.
All other countries
Currently we do not have any front end shipping options for countries outside of New Zealand and Australia however if you would like a shipping quote please contact us via the options at the bottom of the page and we will get back to you with one as soon as possible.
Tracking Events (Within New Zealand)
Due to some justified confusion around Courierpost’s/NZpost’s tracking system, we have come up with a brief description of what some of the events mean:
- “Label created“- This events means that your parcel’s shipping has been booked in and is awaiting pickup. You should receive an email from our system with your tracking number as well as an updated order status around the same time this event occurs.
- “Picked up“- Your parcel has been picked up and is with our local courier.
- “Ready to collect“- This event is a confusing one as it is used for two different scenarios in Courierpost’s/NZpost’s tracking system. If this tracking event occurs at approximately the same time as the “Picked up” event or several hours later, please disregard any emails/text messages you might receive. In this instance this event means that your parcel is waiting at the local depot for pickup and transport to the regional sorting center. If this event occurs after “Processing at depot” or “Delivery attempted”, this means you may have received a “card to call” in your mailbox, please follow the instructions this card provides.
If you are after any further information, please feel free to contact us via the options at the bottom of the page.
Otakumart is happy to provide a laybuy service for our customers. We currently don’t have an automated system for this so if you would like to open a laybuy account with us, please contact us directly via the contact details at the bottom of the page.
What can I buy with laybuy?
You can use laybuy for any of the items sold by Otakumart, either on our website or Trademe. There is no minimum purchase amount.
Do I have to pay anything up front?
10% of the purchase price excluding shipping is required upfront although we do make exceptions from time to time. This is non-refundable although there can be exceptions.
How much extra does it cost to laybuy an item?
There is no extra cost for purchasing through Otakumart via laybuy.
What if I want to cancel my laybuy?
In the event of cancellation the 10% is not refundable in most cases (No exceptions for laybuys of pre-orders). The sum of what you have paid after that will be refunded to you via your preferred method.
How often do I have to make payments?
There is no fixed payment terms but and this will be handled on a case by case basis. In many cases there will be no requirements as long as you stay in touch!
When will I receive the items I have laybuyed?
Items will be shipped once payment included shipping has been received in full.