When shopping with Otakumart, you’re protected by the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 and depending on your payment method, may also be eligible for further buyer protection. You’re also backed by our own guarantees and policies.
We pride ourselves on our service and in the rare circumstance issues with orders do arise, we do everything we can to remedy the issue without needing to mediate with third parties.
While we handle issues on a case to case basis, there are several areas we will typically be unable to accept a return or provide a refund for:
- Product arrives with superficial damage to the packaging such as scratching, creases, minor crushing, etc. This also applies to the covers (including dust jackets or slip cases) of books. Product packaging is designed to protect the product itself and we are unable to provide compensation or replacements in these situations.
- Unauthorized returns. These include packages returned to us as unclaimed or un-deliverable for any reason by our courier and packages that have been returned without direction from our team.
- Products with stipulations regarding fragility or any other potential defects – these will be made clear in product descriptions.
- Damage caused by negligence or misuse.
- Minor variations in the quality of mass produced items such as, but not limited to, Pop Vinyls and Prize figures. Please understand that paint bleeding, paint flocking, minor box damage and colour variations do occur in mass produced items.
Returns, Exchanges, & more
Customers can return an item within 30 days from the date of delivery for any reason. Here are some scenarios outlined below:
I’ve changed my mind or made an error, what can I do?
If you have changed your mind or discovered you have made an error before the consignment has left our warehouse (Sometimes parcels leave us before the first tracking scan) then please contact us asap for us to cancel the order. If your order cancellation is received before it leaves our warehouse then you will not be charged a restocking fee and the order will be cancelled. A full refund including shipping will be provided for the item(s) in question as well as the shipping fee if applicable.
If the consignment is already en route or delivered then contact us to arrange a return and refund as long as the item(s) remain in the same condition as you received it and it is within 30 days of delivery. You will be liable for the shipping costs and will be charged a 15% restocking fee. We will issue a refund (excluding the original shipping cost & restocking fee) once the item has been inspected by our team.
If the item is not in the same condition as it was received in, let us know as we may still be able to help out.
I received the wrong item or the wrong amount, what happens now?
Apologies for the error! Please contact us, if you have received the incorrect product we will provide a shipping label for sending the item back to us. We will then ship the correct item at no additional cost.
- Please repack the item in the same packaging we sent it in (We will provide a new satchel if the item was sent via one of our satchel methods).
- Please do not open or use the incorrect product.
My order arrived damaged/faulty, can you help?
If your item has arrived and is faulty, damaged, or not working as intended, please notify us within 48 hours of delivery.
Once you have notified us, we may arrange for the return of the product for assessment- You will not be liable for the cost of shipping. Once we have confirmed the damage or fault, it will be repaired, refunded or replaced free of charge(if there is available stock in our warehouse) at our discretion. We may also offer partial refunds or other remedies.
Please ensure we receive the return within 10 business days of the date received.
For fast processing, please ensure the following:
- You retain the original packaging
- You accurately describe the fault or damage.
- You attach clear photographs of the damage.
- You provide us with your order number.
What do I do if I entered an incorrect shipping address?
Please contact us asap.
We will fix this error for you. Unfortunately if your consignment has already been dispatched you will have to pay for shipping again once we have had the item returned to us. If you would prefer to cancel your order, you will be refunded minus the shipping cost and our 15% restocking fee will be applied, this will also be the case if we are unable to retrieve your order. If we’re unable to retrieve your order or claim through the post, we will not be able to provide a refund. Please double check your address before checking out!!
Can I exchange an item(s) purchased via Afterpay or other pay later services?
Please note: Afterpay and other pay later service orders can only be returned for a refund, not an exchange.
My order did not arrive
If your order tracking has not shown any updates over 3 business days (excludes public holidays and weekends) then please contact us and we follow it up with the carrier.
If your order shows “Delivered” status and you were not able to receive the parcel at that time then you may have been left a “card to call”. All parcels (unless ATL is given or implied as per below) will require signature by default to prevent parcel theft.
- We may not be able to provide remedy for parcels that have not been signed for by the intended recipient.
- Providing instructions at checkout to leave a parcel will be assumed as Authority to Leave (ATL) and risk is assumed by the customer.
If we are unable to locate your parcel, we will initiate the claims process through our courier and you will be refunded the full purchase price.
How long do returns and refunds take?
The entire process length varies case to case.
Domestic: New Zealand returns/refund process may take up to 14 days.
- Once the item has arrived at our warehouse please allow an additional 1-3 business days for our team to inspect the item before we initiate the refund. If you originally paid by credit card, Paypal, Afterpay, Laybuy, Genoapay, we will refund the amount to your card or account. If you paid by internet banking you will need to nominate a bank account for us to send your refund to.
- Refund to clear into account: Approximately 7 working days.
International: International returns/refund process may take up to 28 days.
- You can return an item by post using any international postal service or courier. Please mark your parcel as ‘returned goods’ to avoid customs delays. On international orders, we will not reimburse the cost of return shipping, or accept liability for customs duties or taxes. We do not offer exchanges for international orders. If an alternative product is required, you will have to place a separate order for this.
- International returns can take up to 21 business days (excluding weekends and public holidays) to arrive at our warehouse. Please also allow 3 business days from the arrival for your return to be reflected in our system. If you’re eligible for a refund you’ll then be notified by email.
- Refund to clear into account: Approximately 7 working days.
You can also contact us via the methods in our site footer.